August 31, 2017
3 New Message Tags
Three new message tags are available for sending non-promotional messages outside the 24-hour standard messaging window:
ACCOUNT UPDATE: Used to confirm updates to a user's account setting. For example, when there is a change in account settings and preferences of a user profile, notification of a password change, or membership expiration.
PAYMENT_UPDATE: Used to provide payment updates to existing transactions. For example, it can be used to send a receipt, out-of-stock, auction ended, refund, or a status change in an existing purchase transaction.
PERSONAL_FINANCE_UPDATE: Used to confirm a user's financial activity. For example, it can be used to send notifications on bill pay reminders, scheduled payments, receipts of payment, transfer of funds, or other transactional activities in financial services.
For complete details, see Message Tags.
July 27, 2017
Messenger Platform v2.1
Built-in NLP is a simple way for developers to incorporate natural language processing into their bots. Built-in NLP automatically detects meaning and information in the text of messages, before it gets passed to the bot.
Handover protocol enables cross app collaboration within a single Messenger experience. The handover protocol enables businesses to create multiple experiences within a single bot.
- The new SDK for payments makes the Messenger webview payment process easier and more efficient. Customers can now pay using a one-step process through Messenger webview. The webview payments SDK for Messenger Platform v1.2 - 2.0 is now deprecated - support will continue for these versions through February 1, 2018.
- Added expanded set of Facebook Page buttons: Shop Now, Get Support, Get Updates, Play Now and Get Started.
- Added desktop support for Messenger Extensions SDK that extends functionality across mobile and web. This allows features like user ID and sharing to be available on desktop.
- Updated customer matching API allows matching prior to sending a message to a phone number, and optionally a name, via the API.
- Added Chat Extensions for Global Pages. Enables thread sharing across regions using the webview and Chat Extension.
- Added policy enforcement notifications, which send notifications when a bot has been blocked or policy issues arise.
- Added new messaging tags to make it easier to respond to customers’ questions and provide updates: APPOINTMENT_UPDATE, GAME_EVENT, TRANSPORTATION_UPDATE, FEATURE_FUNCTIONALITY_UPDATE, TICKET_UPDATE.
April 18, 2017
Messenger Platform v2.0
Discover tab added to Messenger, showcasing popular bots in our ecosystem, nearby places that people can message, and businesses that offer support or answer questions.
Chat Extensions lets bots build interactive, social features that users can invoke directly into their conversations via the composer.
Parametric Messenger Codes let a bot dynamically generate multiple Messenger codes that provide different functionality when they are scanned. Users can also now scan codes by holding down on the main camera interface in Messenger.
The ID Matching API enables the pairing of ASIDs and PSIDs between an app and a bot belonging to the same business
Open Graph Template lets bots send open graph content directly to threads. Currently supports only music URLs natively with inline playback.
Bots can now access referral information when users enter via a Messenger Ads.
Released the Platform Design Kit, a library of components for designing bots.
March 2nd, 2017
Messenger Platform v1.4
- Completely re-designed Persistent Menu with several major changes:
- Up to 3 levels of submenus
- Ability to turn off freeform input
- Localization support
- Several new sharing features to help your bot gain viral traction:
- Links shared from webview now automatically contain attribution link back to your bot. Can be disabled.
- Customized Sharing from webview via Messenger Extensions
- Share button now allows specifying a message, rather than only sharing the bubble it was included in.
- Bot deep-links via m.me now supported via all the above-mentioned messages.
- Added Messenger Profile API for accessing your bot's properties. Replaces the Thread Settings API. Added a way to set a target audience for your bot.
- Improved Customer Matching. Increased match rate and ability to react when the user accepts your bot's message request.
- Added Page Messaging Insights API
- Added Messenger Code API to programatically fetch the Messenger Code for a bot or page.
- Added pre-checkout webhook event for payments
- Added Attachment Upload API
November 8th, 2016
Messenger Platform v1.3
- Support for Ref Param in m.me links
- New Checkbox Plugin
- New List Template
- Tokenized Payments support. Payments still in BETA, request access.
- Better Testing for Payments. You don't have to be whitelisted to start testing.
- Added list of apps running a page. You can find it in to Page Settings/Messaging tab.
- Improved error reporting and clear subcodes
- Deprecation announcement: seq id field on inbound messages
September 12th, 2016
Messenger Platform v1.2
- Introduced Payments in beta! Request access through this form.
- Added Webviews and Extensions to get user id for personalization, close the webview and call payments in the browser
- Added Share Button type (currently supported in Generic template only) so that people can share message bubbles
- Added Icons support to Quick Replies
- Added Location Quick Reply type
- Added webview_height_ratio parameter for Url Button to customize webview height
- Added attachments reuse support so that you don't have to upload the same attachments every time
- Messenger Destination Ads are now available under the website clicks objective - that means you can acquire users directly into your bot with no friction
- Export your bot analytics on the app level to see block rates and open threads for all your pages.
- New welcome screen when people first enter a conversation with your bot
August 30th, 2016
- Added client-side events for the "Send to Messenger" plugin
August 15th, 2016
- Added a new doc: Messenger Platform Policy Overview. Please review as policy changes may impact your integration.
- Re-added the Complete Guide which has now been broken up into multiple sections.
- Doc navigation changes.
July 1st, 2016
- Video, audio, gif and file sends. Support both URLs and file upload.
- Sender Actions: set read receipts and typing indicators.
- New event: message_echoes. Allows developers to receive all messages sent by pages.
- New event: message_reads. To notify the developer/page a message was read.
- New field: app_id, to identify the source of the bot message.
- New field: metadata, passed from the Send API and sent to the message_echoes callback, to help interoperability betwen multiple bots.
- Breaking change: Get Started button. Triggers a postback received callback instead of firing a message automatically.
- New input style: Quick replies. A new way for bots to receive input with ephemeral buttons attached to the last message
- New button type: Phone number to invoke the native phone dialer
- New thread setting: Persistent menu. Supports postbacks and urls with up to five elements
- New thread setting: Greeting text. To communicate your bot's functionality to first-time users.
- Browser close. To allow automatically closing the browser window at the end of a custom web UI flow.
- Account linking and unlinking: secure protocol for businesses to retrieve a page scoped user ID from within Messenger
- Bot feedback: Users are able to leave a 5-star review and provide feedback for developers.
April 12th, 2016
- Messenger Platform launched.