Messenger Platform Changelog
This changelog covers what's changed in the Messenger Platform APIs. These changes include server-side APIs, web plugins, mobile apps and other services.
March 2nd, 2017
Messenger Platform v1.4
- Completely re-designed Persistent Menu with several major changes:
- Up to 3 levels of submenus
- Ability to turn off freeform input
- Localization support
- Several new sharing features to help your bot gain viral traction:
- Links shared from webview now automatically contain attribution link back to your bot. Can be disabled.
- Customized Sharing from webview via Messenger Extensions
- Share button now allows specifying a message, rather than only sharing the bubble it was included in.
- Bot deep-links via m.me now supported via all the above-mentioned messages.
- Added Messenger Profile API for accessing your bot's properties. Replaces the Thread Settings API. Added a way to set a target audience for your bot.
- Improved Customer Matching. Increased match rate and ability to react when the user accepts your bot's message request.
- Added Page Messaging Insights API
- Added Messenger Code API to programatically fetch the Messenger Code for a bot or page.
- Added pre-checkout webhook event for payments
- Added Attachment Upload API
November 8th, 2016
Messenger Platform v1.3
- Support for Ref Param in m.me links
- New Checkbox Plugin
- New List Template
- Tokenized Payments support. Payments still in BETA, request access.
- Better Testing for Payments. You don't have to be whitelisted to start testing.
- Added list of apps running a page. You can find it in to Page Settings/Messaging tab.
- Improved error reporting and clear subcodes
- Deprecation announcement: seq id field on inbound messages
September 12th, 2016
Messenger Platform v1.2
- Introduced Payments in beta! Request access through this form.
- Added Webviews and Extensions to get user id for personalization, close the webview and call payments in the browser
- Added Share Button type (currently supported in Generic template only) so that people can share message bubbles
- Added Icons support to Quick Replies
- Added Location Quick Reply type
- Added webview_height_ratio parameter for Url Button to customize webview height
- Added attachments reuse support so that you don't have to upload the same attachments every time
- Messenger Destination Ads are now available under the website clicks objective - that means you can acquire users directly into your bot with no friction
- Export your bot analytics on the app level to see block rates and open threads for all your pages.
- New welcome screen when people first enter a conversation with your bot
August 30th, 2016
- Added client-side events for the "Send to Messenger" plugin
August 15th, 2016
- Added a new doc: Messenger Platform Policy Overview. Please review as policy changes may impact your integration.
- Re-added the Complete Guide which has now been broken up into multiple sections.
- Doc navigation changes.
July 1st, 2016
- Video, audio, gif and file sends. Support both URLs and file upload.
- Sender Actions: set read receipts and typing indicators.
- New event: message_echoes. Allows developers to receive all messages sent by pages.
- New event: message_reads. To notify the developer/page a message was read.
- New field: app_id, to identify the source of the bot message.
- New field: metadata, passed from the Send API and sent to the message_echoes callback, to help interoperability betwen multiple bots.
- Breaking change: Get Started button. Triggers a postback received callback instead of firing a message automatically.
- New input style: Quick replies. A new way for bots to receive input with ephemeral buttons attached to the last message
- New button type: Phone number to invoke the native phone dialer
- New thread setting: Persistent menu. Supports postbacks and urls with up to five elements
- New thread setting: Greeting text. To communicate your bot's functionality to first-time users.
- Browser close. To allow automatically closing the browser window at the end of a custom web UI flow.
- Account linking and unlinking: secure protocol for businesses to retrieve a page scoped user ID from within Messenger
- Bot feedback: Users are able to leave a 5-star review and provide feedback for developers.
April 12th, 2016
- Messenger Platform launched.