Creating Apps for Workplace
The Graph API and Account Management API for Workplace are openly available APIs which can be called by any developer that knows how to call REST-based APIs. Access to these APIs is controlled by apps, with specific permissions and protected by access tokens.
Only System Administrators of a Workplace community can create apps and generate access tokens in that community.
Apps and Pages
When you create a custom integration, two objects are created:
- An app, which has specific permissions as defined in the Edit App screen.
- A page, of type 'Bot', which is only visible within your Workplace community. The page name reflects the name of your custom integration, and its profile picture matches the icon you chose when creating your custom integration.
A Custom Integration token is generated and shown to you when creating your custom integration, and this token can be used to read and write posts as your page.
Creating Custom Integrations
To create an app for Workplace, follow the steps below:
- In the Company Dashboard, open the Integrations tab.
- Click on the Create App button.
- Choose a relevant name and description for the app.
- Add a profile picture for the app. This will be used any time the app is visually represented, for instance if it makes a post to group.
- Choose the required permissions for the app, based on the integration functionality you require.
- Copy and safely store the access token that's shown to you. You'll need this when making API calls.
As a system administrator, it's important to make sure that you only share access tokens with trusted developers within your organization and Facebook-approved third-party developers.