Messenger API support for Instagram Rollout
Messenger API support for Instagram (also known as Instagram Messaging API in our Developer Policies) is available to the following Instagram Professional Accounts:
- All Business accounts
- Creator accounts via a phased roll-out, beginning with accounts with less than 500k followers
We recommend the following approach for developers to onboard Creator accounts during the phased rollout:
- Obtain Creators’ permission to manage their Instagram messages through your permission flow.
- Once you have obtained the permission, call the Conversation API with the page access token to check their eligibility: if the API responds with error code
36103 with the message "
This IG account is not eligible for API yet" the business is not yet eligible.
- If the API call succeeds, the account is eligible. Please note that eligible account will remain so throughout the phased rollout regardless of changes in their follower count.
While the app is in development mode/ standard access, all Instagram Messaging APIs (Send API, Webhook, Conversation API, etc.) will only work for users that have a role in the app. The following behaviors will apply:
- Send API will only work for users that have a role in the app.
- Webhook will only be delivered for users that have a role in the app.
- Conversation API will only be showing threads/messages for users that have a role in the app.