Dynamic Ads FAQ
The Dynamic Ads solution allows you to automatically promote relevant products from an entire catalog across any device using pixel and app events to build up audiences of people to target. This document lists the frequently asked questions about Dynamic Ads.
Product Catalog and Product Feed
Q: What are the current product limits on catalog size?
A: We recommend breaking larger feeds into smaller ones for faster, parallel upload:
- We currently recommend under 5 Million products per feed through the file upload method.
- Limit of 100MB per feed file via Business Manager
Q: What file formats do you accept?
- File formats accepted are XML and tab delimited CSV, TXT or TSV.
- We also accept files that are compressed. zip, gzip and bz2
Q: My feed is taking too long to upload
- Ensure that there are no network connectivity issues.
- Ensure that your product feed follows the restrictions specified above.
- To speed up feed upload process, use a compressed feed file. We support zip, gzip and bz2 compression formats.
Q: How do I get Google Merchant Center feed to Dynamic Ads?
- Google Merchant Center feeds can be uploaded directly for Dynamic Ads.
- Pay attention to the "link" column to make sure it doesn't have Google tracking params on it, they'll look something like this: URL?utm_campaign=GoogleDynRMKT&utm_medium=display
Q: How do I troubleshoot my feed upload errors?
- Verify the upload errors that happened. Products with fatal errors are not uploaded, the rest are uploaded.
- Verify the
product_countin the product catalog after the feed upload has finished. Instructions here
- The first line in the field is expected to contain the name of the fields.
- Use the correct delimiter in your feed file. Supported delimiters are TAB, PIPE, or TILDE. Defaults to TAB. Ensure the delimiter you use during upload is the same delimiter as in the feed file.
- Check “Use quoted fields” option if your feed contains quoted fields.
Q: How do I stop a product from running when it is out of stock?
A: When products go out of stock you will need to mark it as out of stock in your product catalog. Products marked out of stock will automatically stop serving. Scheduling and fetching the product catalog frequently will help you maintain your stock information easily.
Q: I am unable to choose/see Product catalog that was uploaded by my team.
A: Go to Business Manager and make sure the user/account has permissions of “Product Catalog Admin”.
Product Set and Product Group
Q: What is difference between Product Set and Product Group?
A: A Product Set is a collection of Product Items and Product Groups within a Product Catalog that is defined by a name and a filter/rule that's evaluated dynamically. That means one can create aProduct Set with "all things where brand is Nike and price is greater than $50".
A Product Group describes a collection of variants of a Product Item. For instance, a black iPhone 6 16 GB has the same Product Group as a white iPhone 6 16 GB but they have differentProduct Items. A Product Item can have zero or one Product Group (Product Groups are optional).
Q: Can a product appear in multiple product sets?
A: Yes, a product can appear in multiple Product Sets.
Q: Is the exclusion for Purchase events done at the product Group level or product set level?
A: The exclusion for purchase events is done at product group level if it is available, else at the product level.
Pixel Setup and Audiences
Q: My pixel is not setup correctly.
A: Using Facebook pixel to track external events on your product pages and build product audience:
- Place one of the 9 standard events on select pages of your website with standard parameters
- Ensure the pixel is associated correctly with your product catalog. More details here.
Q: How do I map Facebook pixel to my Product Catalog?
A: Dynamic Ads requires Facebook pixel or app events to report which products are being viewed, added to cart and then purchased on your website or app. The product ID reported by Facebook pixel(or app events) must EXACTLY match the ID column of the corresponding product in your product feed.
Q: What are allowed values for content_type when setting up the pixel?
A: The valid values for
content_type are either
product_group. It's important that the
content_type matches the type of id(s) included in the
content_ids parameter. E.g. If
product_group, product group id(s) needs to be provided in
Q: Why is my audience size zero?
A: There could be couple of reason why the audience size is 0. Follow instructions provided here to ensure audience is set up correctly:
- Ensure the inclusion and exclusion rules are not conflicting each other.
- Product set ID belongs to the product catalog for which the Facebook pixel is created.
- For websites with poor traffic, they should try and keep the retention higher to collect an audience, ads will not deliver if the audience size is less than 20.
Q: What is the objective I need to set up for Dynamic Ads campaigns?
A: We recommend to use objective
PRODUCT_CATALOG_SALES for Dynamic Ads campaigns.
Q: How do I promote products in a particular ad set?
A: While creating an ad set use the field
promoted_object to add a product set id, which indicates all ads under this ad set will be promoting products in the specified product set.