Implementation Requirements for Audience Network Ads
To maximize engagement with your ad, we have compiled these implementation requirements which supplement the Audience Network Policies. In order to create a high quality ecosystem and great experience for people and businesses, ensure you comply with these requirements when implementing the Audience Network product. As you begin implementing the Audience Network, please also be sure to reference and comply with our policies.
Native Ad Unit
A native ad is a custom designed unit that fits seamlessly with your app. If done well, ads can blend in naturally with your interface.
The unique feature of native ads is that they should balance your app's experience while protecting the integrity of advertisers' assets and creating a great user experience. Follow these implementation requirements below to ensure that your native ads approach this balance the right way.
There are a number of mandatory advertiser assets that must always be included in your native ad design. Failing to include any of these items could result in Facebook disabling your placement:
- Ad Title
- CTA (Call-to-Action) Button (eg. Install Now, Learn More)
- The Advertiser Creative Asset (ex: Image, Video, Carousel) or Advertiser Icon
- AdChoices icon
In addition your ad must comply with the Audience Network Policies and must be clearly labeled and distinguishable from content.
AdChoices icon and distinguishable ad
Your native ad should be clearly delineated from the rest of your content and have space around it to avoid accidental clicks. The outline of your ad should be visible, and there should be a significant distance between the ad and any other clickable areas in your app.
The built-in native ad templates include the AdChoices control that allows users to learn about interest-based ads. You must use these built-in templates unless you have our prior written permission:
- Include the clickable "AdChoices" text on your native ad by using the AdChoices control provided by Audience Network SDK (see FBAdChoicesView for iOS or AdChoicesView for Android).
- Clearly mark your native ad as "Sponsored", "Promoted" or "Ad" to distinguish it from the rest of your content AND include the expandable "AdChoices" icon on your native ad by configuring the AdChoices control as expandable (see FBAdChoicesView for iOS or AdChoicesView for Android).
In order to avoid potential accidental clicks, ensure that when implementing native ads only the advertiser assets are clickable. This means that the background of the ad must not be clickable, including if you use the ad image as a background (ex: no clickable “whitespace”).
- Your native ad should include the advertisers' creative assets in a way where users are encouraged to engage with the ad unit.
- You can scale the campaign image, but don’t distort it.
- Campaign images should be 1200x627 px for app ads, 600x314 px for other ads.
- Do not obscure, cover, distort, or otherwise alter the campaign image.
- For the app icon or profile image, retain the square image ratio, and don't alter the image.
Title and CTA requirements
- Your native ad is required to include the title and Call-to-Action (CTA) provided by the advertiser. It can also include advertisers' promotional text.
- Provide enough space to display at least 20 characters of the title. Make sure if the title is longer than 20 characters, that you replace the additional text with an ellipsis.
- If you choose to display the Ad Body text, at least 72 characters of it should be visible.
- If there is not enough room to display at least 72 characters of promotional text, it’s better to omit it from the ad unit or provide an animation to display the text in its entirety.
- Clearly separate the CTA text and metadata text from the advertiser’s text.
- Your native ad is required to include a Call-to-Action (CTA) button.
- When creating their ads, advertisers may specify certain CTA strings, such as “Install Now.”
- The CTA text string must be displayed in its entirety on your native ad.
- Do not shorten or alter the CTA text.
- You can also add an icon adjacent to the CTA text.
- The max character length for CTA is 25 characters.
- Your native ad can include metadata provided by the advertiser such as the app rating and availability / context string.
- Note that not all advertisers will include metadata. You will need to handle this scenario within your app.
Native Ad Video Unit
You can also integrate video ads into your Native Ad experience. To enable video you must complete the following steps:
- Have SDK version 4.5.0 or later linked in your app.
- Add the MediaView class when building the native ad. See the Android Implementation Guide or iOS Implementation Guide for detailed instructions.
Interstitial Ad Unit
An interstitial is a full screen ad that appears at a natural transition point in your app.
- Interstitial ads must not be implemented in such a way that may surprise users or interrupt the natural flow of the app. They should be placed in between natural breaks in the experience of your app. For example, interstitial ads should be shown between levels or stages for gaming apps and are not permitted on placements such as app load, exit pages or in the middle of game play.
- The call-to-action must be shown in a way that when a user clicks on the ad it is intentional.
- Do not edit or modify interstitial ads in any way without Facebook’s written approval.
Banner Ad Unit
A banner is a small bar ad that appears at the bottom or top of your content. Usually sized 320 x 50.
- Avoid placing banner ads over text, image, and other clickable portions of your app to prevent accidental clicks.
- Only include one ad per page or show one ad at a time if scrolling.
- Avoid placing banner ads in an area that interrupts the natural flow of the app to prevent accidental clicks.
- Do not edit or modify banner ads in any way without Facebook’s written approval.
In-Stream Video Requirements
- VPAID. Web players must support VPAID. The page URL must be retrievable by Audience Network's VPAID and must be the same as the page URL in the request.
- Audience Network SDK. Unless you have our prior written permission, you must have the Audience Network SDK integrated on any mobile apps for in-stream video ads.
- Mobile app categories. Only mobile apps categorized as "news" or "entertainment" are eligible.
- Skip. For any creatives with a length of 31 seconds or longer, Audience Network will allow a user to skip the ad after 10 seconds. Publishers are not permitted to change when a user can skip an ad, or add any additional skipping functionality.
- Ad position. Ads must be pre-roll or mid-roll, with video content after the ad. Post-roll ads, pre-game ads and mid-game ads are not eligible.
- Click-to-play and autoplay. Click-to-play videos are eligible. Autoplay videos are only eligible if the video player is the main element of the page. Videos in article pages must be click-to-play.
- Sound. Video must have sound-on by default.
- Minimum Player size. Video width must be at least 500 pixels on Desktop and 300 pixels on Mobile.
- Sticky Players. Players that are always in view on a page regardless of user scrolling and are less than 500 pixels wide are prohibited.