Mobile app ads help you get more people to install and engage with your app. See also Ads Help Center, Mobile App Installs and Engagement. This guide is for developers of an app who want to run Facebook ads driving app installation or engagement.
If you're not a developer, there are technical instructions in this guide that help optimize delivery of your mobile app ads. While you do not need to be an experienced software developer to understand these steps, you should get a developer to complete your set up. Once that is complete, non-developers can then create and run ads.
- Create and Setup Your App - Register as a developer and create a new Facebook app using our app dashboards. For full documentation, see Register and Configure an App
- Provide Google Play or Apple App Store URL - Optional. When someone clicks your ad, they see it in an app store where they can install it.
- Verify your Page
- Include Facebook iOS SDK or Android SDK - Not required, however when you include the SDK with your mobile app, you can start tracking app installs and improve your app ads targeting.
- Add App Events - Optional, to track actions in your app and target ads at people most likely to engage in your app.
- Verify Your App Ads Setup: Visit this developer tool to check that your app is set up for the most efficient ads delivery.
At this point, you're done with all developer setup. You or any non-technical team members can create mobile app ads.
For ad formats available, media requirements and placements, see Facebook Ads Guide. Then select
App Installs as your Supported Objective.
This provide more detail on all the required and optional set up to run app ads. If you're not a developer, you should have one complete the the setup, including options to improve your app ads performance.
Create and Register App
You need to create a Facebook app, which represents your actual application, whether you have a e-commerce mobile app, game, or any other mobile app:
- If you don't already have one, create your developer account:
Linking Apps to Ad Accounts
After you set up App events, you should associate App event data from your app to an Ad Account:
- In your Facebook Developer app settings, go to Settings > Advanced
- Under Advertising Accounts add your ad account ID
Provide Store Information
You can run mobile app install campaigns, which drive people to install an app from your Facebook ad. In this case, you probably want to provide the location of your app so that when people click your ad, they open it in the store for installation. Set this in your App Dashboard.
Check the status and set up of your app and your app ads. See App Ads Helper. You can check to see if you App events are working so you can target ads based on this data. You can also check if you have app installs and see other useful information when you want to efficiently run ads for your app.
Passing App Events
App Events enables you to deliver your ads to the right people. You can optimize delivery of your app ads to people already using your app to increase engagement or use event data to target people who are most likely to install your app.
To use App events, you need to have an app ID, which you can find your App Dashboard. There are several ways to set up App events in your app and send data to Facebook:
- Android SDK - Implement App events in your Android app then send event to Facebook as people take action in your app.
- iOS SDK - The iOS SDK has libraries for App events you can trigger in your app to send event-related data to Facebook.
- Facebook App Events API
- Mobile Measurement Partner's SDK, as shown below.
All of these sources send event data to the same Facebook endpoint and send events associated with your app ID.