Partial Outageshare-external
How to set sub-menus in FaceBook Messenger bot?

Hi,

I have a persistent menu on my messenger bot. I want to display a list of menu buttons horizontally above the main persistent menu when an item on the persistent menu is clicked, such as the "Support the Guardian" button in the example below: https://miro.medium.com/max/2236/1*wfJWcubQWZIji1oK3lYV7g.png

From the persistent menu doc, it says this can be achieved by using sub-menus: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/messenger-platform/send-messages/persistent-menu/

But I cannot find how to set sub-menus anywhere. Is that a nested menu? If so, the persistent menu doc says that nested menu is no longer supported.

Can anybody help? Thanks a lot!

Ning
Asked about a month ago
Selected Answer

Screenshot shows a regular persistent menu. What you describe sounds like a nested menu (a 2nd level when clicking a 1st level item) which had been deprecated, kinda.

January 17 at 2:53 PM
Lars
Ning

Thank you for the reply! On the screenshot, I mean the horizontal buttons behind the main persistent menu: ... Business, Support the .... So are those horizontal buttons nested menu? I see a lot of companies are using these horizontal buttons, facebook won't support this thing any longer?

January 17 at 4:17 PM
Lars

These are regular persistent menu items, not nested. Nested means "on another level" (which isn't supported anymore)

January 17 at 4:23 PM
Ning

Thanks! Do you know how make these horizontal buttons? I cannot find any examples.

January 17 at 4:29 PM
Lars

You added the docs for the persistent menu yourself? See "Setting the Persistent Menu" in that docs.

January 17 at 4:30 PM

yes is nested

January 17 at 2:54 PM
Jorge
Ning

Thank you for the reply! I just tried the nested menu by myself, but my nested menu shows up at the same section of the screen as the main menu (it replaced the main menu, and can be replaced back by clicking the backward arrow). What I want is the blue horizontal buttons behind the persistent menu on the screenshot.

January 17 at 4:23 PM

I have realized this and can be used.

January 21 at 3:40 AM
Kazi
Ning

Thank you for the reply. But I don't quite understand. What can be used? Could you please provide more details? Thanks!

January 21 at 10:29 AM