Migrating access tokens from Instagram Legacy API Platform

I have about 3,000 users that connected through OAuth on the Instagram Legacy API Platform.

How do I migrate them to the new Instagram Basic Display API?

Do I need to ask them to re-connect their accounts, or can I somehow migrate their existing access tokens to the new platform?

My service is "set it and forget it" type of service, so I'd really like to avoid requiring all 3,000 users to re-connect their account.

Marc
Asked about 4 years ago
Selected Answer

Seconded. It seems like you can use the User Token Generator on the Instagram Basic Display API under Facebook Developers to get these API keys, but yeah it's crazy they are making this happen on such a large scale. It appears you will have to get login credentials to each and every IG account, again.

Also, is there a way to do it as a "Business" or "Agency" rather than using your personal Facebook account for Developers? Seems like there should be a way. I wouldn't want to associate every single of these apps I have to re-do with my personal account.

March 11 at 10:07 AM
Randy
Marc

Are you referring to the Access Token Tool? You can generate access tokens, but only for your own account. If you're developing a service for other users to sign in to, I don't you can create access tokens for them without their involvement.

Thing is, I already have working access tokens, but they only work on the Legacy API. It would be great if we could exchange these for new access tokens on the new API.

March 11 at 10:39 AM
Randy

Yeah I agree, some sort of transition assistance would be helpful. But -- nothing is going to happen until April 1st when everyone is on this forum freaking out, they will probably read your post, maybe complain, and everyone will rush to rectify the problem. Some complaints will make it to Facebook/IG, much after the fact. Maybe someone will post a helpful guide or tip from the community. That's how these all go. Good luck!

March 13 at 8:17 AM