This week, we shared early results for Social News and the Open Graph.
Search typeahead traffic now goes directly to Apps
When users type a Canvas app name in Search, the typeahead link now takes them to the app instead of the App Profile Page. The initial results from an A/B test showed a significant increase in Search typeahead Canvas traffic.
In order to simplify our communication channels, the Change Log will now only exist in our weekly updates. We will publish weekly Platform Updates on Wednesday instead of Friday, moving forward.
This week, there were no public API changes.
Social Games Hack on December 8th
Social Games Hack to be held on December 8th at Facebook HQ in Palo Alto, CA. Register now to learn about and get hands-on experience building social games on Facebook Platform.
Upcoming Breaking Changes on December 1st
- OAuth spec migration: In order to be compliant with the OAuth spec we have made changes to our auth APIs. As part of this update, we will be deprecating 'code_and_token' and need developers to use 'code%20token'. Everything is identical, just replace '_and_' with encoded '%20'.
- Deprecating Dashboard APIs: These APIs are no longer supported and will not be available past this date. This does not include the Dashboard count APIs which will deprecate on the FBML and Request 1.0 schedule (no support past Jan 1st 2012, and removed June 1st 2012).
- Apps on Facebook: FB.Canvas.getPageInfo must be called with callback: The FB.Canvas.getPageInfo method will have to be called with a callback function. This was previously not required. See this blog post for more information.
- Removing Bookmark URL: As mentioned here, this optional field was originally created to help developers track user referrals from app bookmarks. We now pass a ref parameter to let you know that the user is coming from a bookmark (i.e., ref=bookmarks). As a result, we removed Bookmark URL. While many developers left this field blank (defaulting to the Canvas URL), it recently came to our attention that some developers were using this field to redirect to Pages with the Page Tab app installed. We will restore the Bookmark URL to the Advanced tab under Canvas Settings for 90 days. This gives you time to edit the field before it will be removed from the Developer App. To give you the most flexibility, we recommend that you delete the Bookmark URL field and instead detect the ref=bookmarks parameter when the user visits your app and take the appropriate action (either redirect to your Page Tab app on a Page or show the user something different).
Please refer to the Platform Roadmap for more info.
Bug Activity from 11/22 to 11/29
- 191 bugs were reported
- 54 bugs were reproducible and accepted (after duplicates removed)
- 17 bugs were by design
- 28 bugs were fixed
- 116 bugs were duplicate, invalid, or need more information
Bugs fixed from 11/22 to 11/29
- Ghost App profile page
- Test User documentation "introduction section" not up-to-date
- Geo-targeting not functioning for fan posts
- Facebook app setting page is not working
- Documentation Bug: FQL link_stat Columns description swapped
- Graph API paging url for likes is broken
- Requests Dialog problems
- Like Button Faces cut off when Send Button shown
- Login Button docs say "perms", should be "scope"
- Aggregation preview doesn't show/open
- Enhanced Auth Dialog does not prompt for user_actions: permissions
- api_status.php cannot be curled without fake headers
- Notification href is not the correct URL on FQL query to notification table.
- Auth Dialog Preview Dialog button not working
- Image, Description, Title missing from links shared. Error: Circular redirect path detected
- Cannot create new aggregation
- Unsufficient information on response.status
- Facepile background is white when the viewer is not logged in to Facebook
- Dark Scheme In Recommendations Box Is Broken
- Recommendations plugin does not render properly with dark color scheme
- Photo comments pagination with Graph API is nonsequential and inconsistent
- Meta Description Not Updating For Public Facebook Pages
- apprequest no longer contains to and to.id
- Querying app specific feed posts returns empty result set for certain users
- Not able to edit action in the open graph editor
- Unexpected aggregate for API request time
- Cannot post a story with empty picture specified
- unable to use applicaiton, fbjs_sandbox.instances is undefined
Activity on facebook.stackoverflow.com this week:
- 432 questions asked
- 114 answered, 26% answered rate
- 213 replied, 49% reply rate