Better Dialogs for Canvas and Page Tab Apps on Facebook
Platform dialogs are all built to run in a variety of display contexts on both the desktop and mobile web. As part of our continued efforts to make these dialogs work smoothly in all contexts, dialogs, such as Feed Dialog, Pay Dialog and Auth Dialog, will now open inline by default as a modal overlay for Canvas and Page Tab apps. These dialogs provide a better user experience than previous pop-up dialogs and do not require the user to turn off pop-up blockers. For more information, please see our documentation.
Debugging Access Tokens
When working with access tokens, you may need to check what information is associated with them, such as its user or expiry. We are introducing a new API endpoint that will allow you to get this data programmatically, instead of using the debug tool page. To use the API, simply issue an HTTP GET request to graph.facebook.com/debug_token with two parameters: input_token (the access token you want to debug) and access_token (your app token or user token of a developer of your app). For more information, please see the documentation.
New Shortcut for Paying by Mobile
With the mobile payments shortcut, you can provide a customized mobile payment flow that simplifies the user experience for purchasing with a mobile device and improves conversion. Instead of offering virtual currency price points that may not be supported on mobile, use this feature to find out what mobile price points are available for users based on their country and offer those as purchase options in your game. Once users make a selection, you can show a mobile-only pay dialog to confirm the purchase, eliminating other payment options from the dialog. Get more details on how to implement this feature by reading our documentation.
Get More Players to Pay with Payer Promotion Unit on Facebook.com
Many developers have implemented Payer Promotions and have seen increased payer conversion and revenue. Payer Promotion is subsidized by Facebook and allows you to offer eligible users a discount on your in-game currency, such as $3 of value for free. We previously launched features that allow you to create your own custom unit or use Dealspot to offer payer promotions in your game. Now Facebook will help you promote this offer for a discount on your in-game currency by showing a special banner or premium unit on your game's canvas page.
You can start taking advantage of this feature simply by implementing in-app currency orders and associating your currency with your app. Learn more about how to enable the payer promotion unit on Facebook.com for your game in our documentation.
Upcoming Breaking Changes
As announced in July, the following breaking changes will go into effect on October 3, 2012:
- Built-in like/follow action required
- Removing Bookmark URL
- offline_access permission removal
- Removing Live Stream plugin
- Summary field being replaced by description field
- Removing position field for photos
- /picture connection will return a dictionary when callback is specified
Check out the Developer Roadmap for more info.
December 2012 Migration Now Available
The "December 2012 Breaking Changes" migration is now available for you to test your apps to see if they will be affected by the breaking changes happening on December 5th, 2012. Check out the Developer Roadmap for more information on what changes are included in the migration.
The following stats are for activity Wednesday, September 12 and Wednesday, September 19
- 187 bugs were reported
- 69 bugs were reproducible and accepted (after duplicates removed)
- 5 bugs were by design
- 27 bugs were fixed
- 91 bugs were duplicate, invalid, or need more information
- Social Plugins are not rendering when element has more than 1 class name on it
- Frictionless requests are not working on beta.facebook.com
- locale in facepile for "connected" users doesn't always work
- Like button not working in Mobile Phones
- FB doesn't call Deauthorize Callback when user uninstalls app
- Graph API Broken For Pages
- JS SDK: Unable to get value of the property 'appendChild': object is null or undefined
- Facebook url requests should provide upload progress (code provided)
- No Close Button for Dialogs in iOS SDK 3.0 Beta
- Shared links URsL are showing up canonical URLs instead.
- Negative Feedback in Insights never loads
- Aggregations grouped by array property only groups the first array element
- iPhone App/iPhone Safari/Android Mobile Browser: Timeline links not redirecting to correct URL
- like button and icon misaligned inside iframe
- like button with button count style causing layout issues
- apprequest dialog from Depreacted Headers not showing list of the friends
- Permissions dialog in Facebook native app if user not already logged in
- Login stays on facebook instead of returning to my app
- Page feed has stopped returning posts by users on Page
- Posting link on user's timeline via API does not trigger notifications
- In the past few minutes, all of our apps are outputing this in the console.
- Facebook non native login issues
- Logging in as Page of a test user causes Facebook to produce a white screen of death
- Facebook iOS 5.0 - Single Sign On not returning to requesting app
- Facebook SSO broken with new iOS app
- apprequests method not available without using deprecated iOS SDK headers
- Test Users Cannot Load beta.facebook.com
Activity on facebook.stackoverflow.com
- 418 questions asked
- 325 questions with a score of 0 or greater
- 100 answered, 31% answered rate
- 183 replied, 56% reply rate