By Cat Lee
- Friday, January 28, 2011 at 6:40pm
Operation Developer Love
We’re continuing to gather and address the feedback you’ve provided about your experiences building on Facebook Platform. Thank you for your help filing bugs, your participation in the Forum, and your feedback in the comments below. This week we implemented two of your most requested features: a version of our Request Dialog which eliminates the need for server FBML to send requests and new Application roles and security features to help you manage and control access to your apps. We also hosted a HTML5 Tech Talk at our offices, which was attended by more than 200 developers and live streamed to nearly a thousand others.
Dev Site Documentation and Navigation
We launched improved documentation and a new navigation on the Dev Site to help you quickly find the resources you need.
- Documentation. We’ve reorganized our docs into four sections that you can view in the left menu: Getting Started, Core Concepts, Advanced Topics, and SDKs & Tools. By combining our overview material with reference docs, we hope it’s easier to find all the information about a single API in one place. Under Getting Started, you’ll find sample apps and updated Getting Started Guides for mobile, Apps on Facebook, and Websites. Based on your feedback, we’ve also simplified documentation to help you better understand important concepts like authentication and how to use our social channels to engage users and let them share content with friends.
- Platform updates. We’ve often heard that it’s hard to keep track of changes on Platform. To help you stay up-to-date on Platform news, health, changes, roadmap, and community events, we’ve added convenient links to these topics in one place.
- My Apps. We wanted to make it easier to access the Facebook Developer App and your applications, so we added a link to the top menu.
We hope the simplified design of the Dev Site will make it easier for you to stay connected with the dev community, track changes and improvements, and build awesome social experiences.
Final Reminder: January 31 Deprecations
As previously announced, the following features will no longer be available after January 31st:
In addition, we are requiring all developers implement the technical solution to address the use of UIDs of Facebook Platform outlined in November.
Please review the Platform roadmap for additional details.
HTML5 Tech Talk
HTML5 continues to be important for us and we hope you’ll join us in moving the technology forward. If you missed the event, you can view it here.
Bugzilla activity for the past 7 days:
- 112 new bugs were reported
- 28 bugs were reproducible and accepted (after duplicates removed)
- 7 bugs were fixed (7 previously reported bugs and 0 new bugs)
- As of today, there are 4,485 open bugs in Bugzilla
Developer Forum activity for the past 7 days:
- 369 New Topics Created
- 221 New Topics Received at least 1 reply
- Of those 221, 100 were replied to by an Admin
- Of those 221, 92 were replied to by a Moderator